The Guyatone ST-2 Is it a Ross Compressor Clone? Let's find out!
In my past I have had around 6 of these little green gems. Jelly molded, tiny, with a large sound.
Each time I sold it to gain a new guitar - a Tokai, an Eastman, an MJT, a Suhr and very soon another returns.
I've tried plenty of compressors: The EQD Warden and Rothwell LoveSqueeze are two of my favourites but the ST-2, I've not found anything like the ST-2 - it's like I'd dropped my amp in a tub of honey and the notes came out as fragrant perfectly rounded bubbles of sound... if there's a critical voice in my head fixed on criticising every note I play; the ST-2 messes with it's timing, my critical voice doesn't hate almost any note emerging via the ST-2... and if only for that reason alone, I want to trace the ST-2 circuit, so others can enjoy it long-after stocks of the discontinued pedal have dwindled :)
It sounds quite a lot like a dynacomp with a bit more squish on tap and blend option... but is it? I hope to create a schematic to compare.. and if possible suggest sub values for commonly available PCBs such as FuzzDog Pedals
But I'm getting ahead of myself! Here are some gut-shots of the PCB, I've inverted the underside to assist in tracing :)Next time I'll put up the BOM based on the markings of the components, Guyatone have been an uncomplicated group of pedal makers, so I don't expect shenanigans :)




0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home